Western Wall, Jerusalem (Judaism)
Western Wall (as it is called in the West) or Western Wall (derived from Hebrew: הַכּוֹתֶל הַמַּעֲרָבִי, written aftfer Latin: HaKotel HaMa’aravi, lit.) often abbreviated as Kotel or Kosel), known as the Buraq Wall in Islam (Arabic: Ḥā`iṭ al) -Burāq حَائِط ٱلْبُرَاٱلْبُرَ Arabic pronunciation: [`ħaːʔɪtˤ albʊ`raːq]), is an ancient wall of limestone from the city of Jerusalem.
Western Wall (as it is called in the West) or Western Wall (derived from Hebrew: הַכּוֹתֶל הַמַּעֲרָבִי, written after Latin: HaKotel HaMa’aravi, lit.) often abbreviated as Kotel or Kosel), known as the Buraq Wall in Islam (Arabic: Ḥā`iṭ al) -Burāq حَائِط ٱلْبُرَاٱلْبُرَ Arabic pronunciation: [`ħaːʔɪtˤ albʊ`raːq]), is an ancient wall of limestone from the city of Jerusalem.
This is a petite section of the old retaining wall, also known in its entirety as the “Western Wall.” The wall was first erected as part of the expansion of the 2nd Temple begun by Herod the Great, which resulted in the enclosure of the naturally steep hill that Jews and Christians call the Temple Mount, in a massive rectangular structure with a flat top, thus creating more space for the temple itself, its annex buildings and crowds of worshipers and visitors.
According to one of many different Islamic traditions, this is the site where the Islamic Prophet Muhammad tied his winged steed, al-Burqa, to his Israel and Mi`raj in Jerusalem before ascending to heaven. It forms the western border of al-Haram al-Sharif, the Noble Shrine of the Al-Aqsa Mosque.
The sanctity of the Western Wall in Judaism is a result of its proximity to the Temple Mount. Due to the Temple Mount’s restrictions on entry, the wall is the holiest place where Jews are allowed to pray, although the bedrock, the holiest site of the Jewish faith, lies behind it.
The original, natural, and irregularly shaped Temple Mount was gradually enlarged to allow for an ever-larger temple complex to be built on its summit. This process was perfected by Herod, who surrounded the mountain with an almost rectangular series of retaining walls, designed to support the temple’s foundation and using extensive substructures and embankments. With earth to give the hill a natural regular geometric shape.
On top of this boxy structure, Herod built a large gravel platform around the Temple. Of the four retaining walls, the western wall is considered the closest to the ancient Holy of Holies, making it the holiest site recognized by Judaism apart from the earlier Temple Mount foundation.
Just over half the entire height of the wall, including its 17 courtyards below street level, dates to the end of the Second period and is generally believed to have been built 19 years ago by Herod. However, recent excavations show that the work was still incomplete by Herod’s death in 4 BC.
The enormous blocks of the lower locks are Herodian. The medium-sized locks above them were added during the Umayyad period, while the small blocks of the upper locks are more recent, especially the Umayyad from Ottoman times.
Western Wall and its alternatives are mainly used in a narrow sense for the part traditionally used by Jews to pray; it is also known as the “Western Wall,” about the Jews weeping at the site after the Temple’s destruction.
During the Roman Christian rule of Jerusalem (ca. 324-638), Jews were excluded entirely from Jerusalem except to attend Tisha Be Av, the national day of mourning for the Temples. On that day, Jews would weep in their holy places.
Therefore, the term “Western Wall” was used almost exclusively by Christians and was revived during a non-Jewish ruling between the establishment of British law in 1922 and the Six-Day War in 1968. The term “Western Wall” was not used by religious Jews, and less and less because many others consider it an insult.
In a broader sense, “west wall” may refer to the entire 488 meters (1,601 ft) retaining wall on the west part of the Temple. The classical section now faces a large square in the Jewish Quarter, near the southwest corner of the Temple, while the rest of the wall is hidden behind structures in the Muslim Quarter, except minus one wall of the 8-meter (26-foot) section, the famous Little Western Wall.
The segment of the western retaining wall commonly used for Jewish liturgy, known as the “Western Wall” or the “Wailing Wall,” derives its particular importance from the fact that it is never entirely obscured by medieval buildings and displays much more of the original Herodian masonry.
Then the “Little Western Wall.” Religiously, the “Little Western Wall” is said to be even closer to the Holy of Holies and thus to the “God’s presence” (Shechina) and to Warren’s underground gate, which lies beyond the reach of the Jews. From the 12th century until partial excavation in the 20th century, even more so.
While the wall is considered Muslim property as an integral part of the Haram esh-Sharif house and the waqf property of the Moroccan Quarter, the Jewish right to prayer and pilgrimage persists. Under the status quo. This position was confirmed in an international commission in 1930 during the British Mandate.
History of the Western Wall
The first mention of this particular site as a Jewish place of worship dates back to the 17th century. Ancient sites used by the Jews to mourn the Temple’s destruction, during a time when they were barred from entering the city, lie to the east, on the Mount of Olives, and in the Kidron Valley below.
Since the mid-19th century, many Jews have tried to buy rights to the wall and its areas, but none have been successful. With the rise of the movement of zionists at the beginning of the 20th century, the wall became a source of friction between Jewish and Muslim communities; the latter feared that the wall could promote other groups.
Jewish claims on the Temple Mount and therefore on Jerusalem. During this period, explosive wall-to-wall violence became common, with a particularly deadly riot in 1929 in which 133 Jews were killed. After the 1948 Arab-Israeli War, the eastern part of Jerusalem was occupied by Jordan. Under Jordanian control, Jews were expelled entirely from the Old City, including the Quarter.
Jewish people were barred from entering the Old City for 20 years, thus prohibiting Jews from praying. At the site of the Western Wall. This period ended on June 11, 1967, when Israel gained control of the site after the Six-Day Battle. Four days after establishing control over the Western Wall area, the Moroccan neighborhood was razed by Israeli authorities to make space for what is now Western Wall Square.